When I was little, I enjoyed going to my aunt and uncle's house. My uncle loved music, and had all these really old records. Most of them were 45's, with the big hole in the middle, and they were in boxes! What I liked most about them was the post-war art on the lid. It was very flat-looking, and sometimes had an almost Picasso-like, European quality.
There were only a few colors, and the design was always funky. I found that Andre Kostelanetz records had the best jacket art. So last night, I went on Ebay, input his name, and voilĂ ! I thought I'd share these unusual pictures with Animan's friends. Who knows? Someday I may make a cartoon in the style of one of these jackets....


Hello again Animan,
ReplyDeleteThat would be awesome... I can see something along the lines of the seasons segment from Fantasia; dabbling in summer, fall, winter and then spring! That would be amazing.
Anyway, take care! :)
Ray from Canada
Hi Ray,
DeleteA "Four Season" Animan video would be interesting--I'd definitely like to try that!
Animan, thanks to your blog I am now addicted to retro art. I'm a huge geek for science fiction so I've been looking into Retro Futuristic art (sounds like an oximoron but I promos you is not - think of how the future was pictured during the 60s) and I've found tons of artworks that kind if remind me of these records. Any how, thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteHi A.J.! I also love Retro Futuristic art--it's technological, whimsical, dreamy and cute all at the same time. Now that we've seen that rockets and computers are somewhat different than they were imagined a few decades ago, it's fun to look and speculate just how our world might have been different if the retro designs had won out.
DeleteAlso, the late 50's cartoon characters like Yogi Bear, the Flintstones and the Jetsons were drawn in a style that seemed to be so modern, that nobody dreamed they would ever be able to top it (and they haven't!). Animan can't get enough retro! I'm glad you're enjoying it, too!
There's a thought....an Animan Cartoon done in the Retro-futuristic style of the Jetson's (the 1960's version, not the bastardized 1980's reboot). It'd be fun to see what gay people from the world of the Jetson's would look like.
DeleteOr an "Animan Cartoon" done in the Flintstone's style. Imagine a bunch of cavemen lifting their bear-skin loincloths to have sex after getting their foot-powered cars "rear ended".
DeleteThe studio that made The Flintstones and The Jetsons was of course, the Hanna-Barbera Studio. I envision my own "Hanna-BAREBACK cartoons"--maybe with less talking heads and more body action. Once before, someone suggested to me the idea of cavemen "doing it". The idea of real cavemen (dirty, smelly, unwashed, etc.) sort of turns me off, but something like The Flintstones (with better-looking guys) could be fun. Poor Animan--he's got a zillion ideas, but he can only create them one at a time....I have no doubt that eventually, they'll all be made :)
DeleteBTW, you're absolutely right about the 1980's reboot of the Jetsons---awful. I also disliked those cartoons with Pebbles Flintstones and Bamm Bamm Rubble all grown up. Gimme a BREAK!