First, I checked Google maps to see how it looks today.
Then there was this picture of the stage set for the Metropolitan Opera in 1915. Even though they had no computers in those days, it looks as if they used Photoshop to stretch the building out to mammoth dimensions! I like the buildings on the right-hand side--they look like skyscrapers from Munchkinland!
Luckily, I found this old painting by a Spanish painter, Manuel Cabral Aguado-Bejarano, entitled "The Death of Carmen" (1890). The painter was born in Seville, so he must have seen the bullring many times. His version looks similar to the current building, with some small differences. For the most part, the building is the same one.
I love this painting, because the composition is so interesting. The angle of the sun shows that it is either early in the morning or late in the afternoon, which adds to the drama. This is the look I wanted for my version of Carmen, so I drew the background as similarly as I could to the 1890 painting.




this is definalty looks like its going to be a very entertaining and epic period piece. I cant wait to see the beautiful men and well as the meticulous sets!
ReplyDeleteYou are a phenomenal artist!! As a Graphic designer there are many things one can learn from your work. Thanks for the disney video post and your tutorials. Makes me wanna experiment different techniques besides the usual Adobe software. Keep up the GREAT work!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have been there many, many times and the building is VERY big... not as small as the painting but doesn't matter... what matters is the story, right?
ReplyDeleteRight.
Delete