Coach Ben

Coach Ben
Coach Ben

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Junior is Real Vintage American Design

I didn't realize it until now, but Junior's face bears an uncanny resemblance to the original "Kool-Aid Smiling Pitcher" from the 1950's and 1960's!  
 

But there's a big difference. The Kool-Aid pitcher is always happy, friendly and smiling. Junior smiles, too--when he gets what he wants. But if he doesn't, then this sort of evil look comes over his face, and he becomes another person!

         Here's some more Kool-Aid art from the good old days of Americana

Mad Magazine did a great parody of this last advertisment--here it is!
Here's a vintage animated commercial for Kool-Aid

Below is one I have NEVER seen before--Kool-Aid in Spain. ¡A los amigos de Animan en España, deseo disculparme por este anuncio comercial insensible!

Below is another I have NEVER seen before--Kool-Aid in Japan.  I know that in Japan--they don't use jin-rickshaws (except for tourists), and this music and scenery is too Chinese-style. And Japanese never wear shoes in the house. NEVER! The Kool-Aid pitchers with narrow, slanty eyes are not really that politically incorrect--Japanese cartoonists often draw Japanese and Chinese eyes that way--but most Americans don't know that. Although Kool-Aid doesn't harmonize with Japanese food AT ALL, there IS a drink they sell in Japan called "Nichirei Acerola Drink" that tastes just like Cherry Kool-Aid! Animan loves it!
日本の皆さん、こんなヘンテコリンなCMで、大変申しわけなく思います!人力車や、畳の土足や、中国風な音楽や、細い目をしたクールイドの水さしたちの顔なんか、面白いながら、やっぱり行き過ぎですね!チェリー味のクールエイドに激似しているニチレイアセロラドリンクはアニマンの大好物です!


20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He knows what he likes and he goes and gets it!

      Delete
  2. LMAO! Goodness!
    You can always count on Mad to make a good joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will we see Junior's face change in the release?:)
    I would like to see how he is two faced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also Talking about the kool aid. I've seen a lot of shows(like robot chicken and family guy) doing parody of kool aid breaking through walls and says "Oh Yeah" in different occasions. Wondered if junior will do the same. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pitcher breaking through walls didn't start until this century, did it? At any rate, Junior will have more important things to do!

      Delete
    2. Nope, the Kool-Aid Guy breaking through the wall was definitely a thing by the 80's because that's how I remember seeing him as a little fella'

      I think it may have begun in the mid to late 70's though, because well --

      I went ahead and looked it up here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-Aid_Man

      It mentions it there but I recall reading older comics from the 70's (I wasn't born yet but I like reading back issues of comic books) and seeing ads with the walking Kool-Aid Man version and he'd come through walls and all that jazz. He was there right along with those "Hostess Fruit Pies" ads in comics, although not in nearly the same amount exposure as those pies had.

      I'm rambling.

      But the think that happened in THIS decade was - Kool-Aid Sneakers. They were supposed to be stylish and inspired by the primary flavors but they looked...garish.

      Delete
    3. Wow--all that from a smiling pitcher....

      Delete
  5. I pray every night that you release a new movie, I could watch them all day. Can't wait for this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your prayers must be getting through, because a new Animan movie is coming out later this month!

      Delete
  6. So is Junior going to make this party sweeter or what? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the "sweeter" part, but he's definitely going to take a "ho-hum evening of cards" and turn it into something a lot more interesting! :D

      Delete
  7. I love the look of junior! And find his devious, manipulative ways ever so sexy. I hope he gets to plow each and every one of his father's meaty friends - as well as his dad. I love watching the big beefy bottoms get plowed in Animan's genius films!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those big guys secretly want it. Lucky for them--Junior is more than happy to give them what they need ;D

      Delete
    2. And lucky for us fans of Animan!!!

      Delete
  8. As a teenager in 1967-1970 I too loved Cool Aid, but never peanut butter. I came in the US at age 16 in 1967

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, you always manage to surprise me. You are still just a lovable teenager!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Animan's World. Very kind and sweet of you.
      Tony

      Delete